For Open-Ended Questions
For Polls and Quizzes/Trivia
Open-Ended Questions – Important Tips
Read this: Before, During and After….
BEFORE THE EVENT
- Test the URL on the laptop that will be used at the event well in advance, make sure to text some test comments. Use Chrome or Firefox and make sure only ONE browser window is open when using Lively.
- Any “test” comments will appear in the word cloud at the event, so keep test comments relevant to your audience.
- Test switching from live responses to the Word Cloud summary by pressing the space bar—when you go from Word cloud to live responses it will bring up the first question in live responses, and erase the live responses (since the summary had already been shown).
- To advance to the next question in live responses: press the right arrow key on the laptop.
- Prepare to tell attendees how participation will work. If you have slides, include prompts to text the participation code at the bottom of the slides.
- Decide if you want to give away prizes for participation, and what the prizes will be. Lively automatically picks random winners (shown in Reporting).
- Decide if you’d like to manually advance to other questions during the event. If you want to manually advance between questions, change the Question Duration (under Extras) to a long time like 8 hours, so the question shown will not automatically advance. Lively will automatically advance to the next question after three minutes, unless the duration is set for longer.
DURING THE EVENT
Suggested Script – at Beginning of Event
“Let’s get everyone involved today. There will be some questions on the screen and you can text your answers to the screen. To participate, take out your phone and text the word ____ (your participation code)” ONE TIME to 27002.”
“Make sure you send your text to “27002” and your message should say “____ (your participation code)” This will let you text your responses to the screen.”
Turn on Full Screen mode on your laptop, use Chrome or Firefox browsers and make sure only ONE browser window is open.
When on the Lively URL…
- To erase on-screen comments for a question: refresh browser or advance to next question by pressing arrow keys on laptop.
- To switch between Live Responses and Word Cloud summary: press space bar. When you go from Word cloud to live responses it will bring up the first question, and erase the live responses (since the summary had already been shown). All responses will be privately recorded in Reporting.
- To advance to the next question: press the right arrow key on the laptop.
- To rewind to previous question: press the left arrow key on the laptop’’
REWARDING PARTICIPATION WITH CONTESTS
Lively has a new Contest feature, which randomly picks up to three participants who can win a prize that you choose. All you need to do is figure out what you want to give away, and announce it at the event to give an extra incentive for people to participate with Lively. Our system will automatically choose the last four digits of the winning cell phone numbers, chosen at random. You can have 1, 2 or 3 winners if you want.
- Suggested Announcement for Contests
When announcing winners, the suggested script is “The software we’re using randomly picked X # of winners. We’re announcing the winners now. The last four digits of the winning cell phone numbers are: ____, ____ and _____. To claim your prize….”
- To find the Contest winners in Lively
After you log in, go to Reporting on the right side of the blue box for your event.
In Reporting, go to the very BOTTOM of the page to see the winners.